In one of Victoria's most anticipated lockdown announcements to date, Melbourne takes a huge step towards a COVID normal.
In today's press conference, Dan Andrews announced some significant changes to the city's current lockdown, to take place from 11.59 pm on Sunday 18th October.
For the Victorian real estate industry, the eased restrictions will see the welcome return of capped, on-site auctions in metro Melbourne. Additionally, commercial property inspections are now permitted.
The REIV have confirmed auctions may now be conducted outdoors for all residential and commercial real estate, under the following restrictions:
- a maximum of 10 people may attend the auction, in addition to the people required to conduct the auction.
- records of attendees must be maintained by the estate agent.
- a COVID Safe Plan must be in place.
- requirements around social distancing measures, the wearing of face masks and the use of hand sanitiser upon entering the property remain in place.
At the time of publishing, the only significant change to private inspections is that they may now be conducted for commercial properties in addition to residential properties.
As has been the case in the last three weeks,
- public open inspections are not permitted. Inspections may be arranged by private appointment only.
- movement between Regional Victoria and Metro Melbourne is not permitted.
- a potential buyer/tenant can travel beyond their 25km limit for an inspection as long as it is within Metro Melbourne.
- COVID safe measures must be implemented at all times.
The impact of these changes will be significant as Victoria heads towards the COVID normal. With the Melbourne market on hiatus for months, we can expect to see a huge spike in activity before Christmas, with vendors and buyers wanting to transact quickly.
If you'd like to know more about the latest changes, or would like to chat to your local area expert about buying or selling a property, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at any time. If you're interested in a property, please ensure you check our website for the most current and up-to-date auction dates and times.